Monday, September 8, 2008

Weekend training

According to my Garmin 405, I did 22.01m on Saturday around and through Central Park. That brought my totals for last week to 53.34 miles. I looked at my training log last year, and I had three 20+ mile runs. This year, I'm hoping to do 5-6, and complete at least two 60+ mile weeks. I think that should put me in good shape for a 3:15:xx finish.

Now, about the 22m on Saturday, miles 4-8 was a race. I didn't really want to race, but to qualify for next year's marathon, I have to do nine races and volunteer for one race. I had only done four so far this year. Anyways, I wanted to just run at goal pace of about 7:30. I did that for the first mile, but then I got caught up in the spirit of the race. My splits were 7:34, 7:04, 7:12, 6:34 for an avg of about 7:02/mile. I don't like racing combined w/ long training runs because it usually hurts more, but one thing I'm doing this year is to ice my legs after long runs and hard workouts. Seems to be working really well.

The other thing about Saturday was the humidity. I expected to run in driving rain because of tropical storm Gustav. Instead, NYC got the prestorm humidity. Surprisingly, my body help up okay...that is, I didn't cramp up due to excessive sweating. I think it may also have been due to the energy drink I had at around mile nine.

I went to Jamba Juice at 53rd and Broadway sans shirt and looking like I'd just come out of a pool. I stood outside to look at the menu, and the girl at the counter was making a huge waving motion with a huge smile for me to come in. That was very nice of her.

No comments: