Sunday, September 28, 2008

18 Mile Marathon Tune Up at Central Park


Today's marathon tune up at Central Park was a challenge on several levels. First, the urbanathlon required a good amount of exertion, especially the 52 floors of WTC 7. My legs had an uncharacteristic ache soreness. Second, I usually like to sleep in at least one day during the weekend. Today, I had to get up earlier to make another 7am start, and I had to get Sara up also! Luckily, she was a good sport by going to bed at 8pm last night. Third, weather called for rain. Lastly, I had to run with old shoes, which usually causes me to have knee aches from broken down support.

Everything turned out surprising well. I told Sara I'd run with her and managed to keep my word for 15 of her 18 miles. Besides the fatigue of being out jogging for more than 3.5 hrs, the really easy pace (>11:00/mile) made the whole thing relatively painless. I do have a knee ache like i thought I would, but I'll deal with it.

My workout details are here. In addition to the 18 miles, I did an extra bottom loop at about the halfway point with Dave at ~7:20 min/mile, and managed to keep that up for about 4 miles unil I caught up with Sara. I felt like my legs work up during that spur, and while it wasn't terribly difficult, it wasn't quite easy either. I know I have to keep up a 7:28 pace for 26.2 miles in 5 weeks, and today's effort worried me a little bit. I also have to remember that I was tired today, and I'll be a lot fresher marathon day. By the end of the day, with the extra loop, warmup and cooldown, I managed to do 20.45 miles which pushed my weekly mileage to just over 62 miles.

I've a recovery week on tap, but I'm not sure how much of a recovery I want it to be. For now, I'm thinking about 45-50 miles. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: