Saturday, September 27, 2008

Men's Health Urbanathlon


The Urbanathlon wasn't easy, but it was a lot of fun! I came in 67th overall at 1:17:40. This race consisted of some 8.10 miles of running and "urban" obstacles along the way, not the least of which was the 52 stories of World Trade Center Seven. Because I want to keep this short so I can go to sleep early for my marathon tune up early tomorrow morning, here are some random lingering impressions of the race...

- link to workout log

- the 52 stories was hell! I thought I would be jogging up, but that was hubris, ignorance and inexperience thinking

- couldn't do the monkey bars because it was a wet morning so I took the penalty lap around the pier

- most fun part of the race - the slide across the taxi hood! I thought I was Luke Duke :-)

- there was no way I was going to let myself take more than 2 tries to get over the 8 foot wall, and I didn't want help.

- according to my log, after about 40 mins, my heart rate was in the 180's and peaked to 192 when I was pulling myself over the wall just before the finish line

- I finished about 4 mins outside of placing in my age group. I think I could have pushed harder, but when do I ever not think that?

- this race was really more about the experience than the finishing time. It's one of the funner races I've done in a while, including triathlons.

- Chris and Edmond did awesome, and I think we'll all be doing it again next year

- I enjoyed seeing Sara at the finish :-)

Have another 18-20 mile 7am run tomorrow. Thankfully I don't need to run as fast for this one!

No comments: