Thursday, October 2, 2008

Today's training: weights

I've read that it's usually not a good idea to do more running after a marathon pacing exercise. I'd usually discard that and go for an easy recovery run, but I had an appointment with a colleague to go to Chelsea Piers Health Club today so it was a good excuse to not go running. It's also an easy, lower mileage recovery week for me, so I guess it was a good idea to skip a run.

Six hours later, I'm glad I agreed to go to the gym, but my body disagrees. I had an excellent back and core workout and also put in time for a good stretch. Usually around this time of the year, I neglect all strength training and get back into it after the marathon. But it was nice to get some weight training in today. In relation to marathon training, I feel like weight training builds a stronger structure for the engine. I'm confident about my engine at this point, I just want to make sure the rest of me doesn't fall apart during the race.

No comments: