Wednesday, March 25, 2009

NYRR Workout - 2 x 1.25mi along east river

With a head cold, I reluctantly headed to class tonight. It's not that I was concerned about being sick and running hard, I didn't want to get anyone sick. I just tried to keep my distance from people.

The workout was 1.25mi out and back with an option to repeat. I did only one because I was spent after the first out and back, and it was going to be a longer than usual run home. The following are my splits:

The intervals were splits 2 and 4 in the above chart. The first one felt pretty nice and easy. In fact, I kind of discovered something in the last 50-100m. Instead of tensing up and brace for a sprint finish, I decided to drop my arms, lean a little bit more forward and relax. When I did that, I was able to separate from my group. Even better was that it felt easier!

The interval back had a little more intensity. I started in the back so I had to work my way back to the front. I never got there, but I managed to finish about 1-2s behind the lead group. I kept trying to catch the leaders but they never let up. I didn't know if I was struggling because the pace was faster, it was the second interval, or that I was sick. It probably was a combination of all three.

I stuck with my original plan to head home after one set. There was a small temptation to do the second out and back, but I didn't want to be pushing too hard in this condition. Besides that, I was pleased with my efforts tonight. I've still got a ways to go. I'd like to be running one group up towards the back half of this class. That's in 3 weeks!

No comments: