Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Baseline workout

Had a good night's rest last night, so I felt very energetic today. I couldn't wait to get my feet on the pavement tonight. I knew I needed to do a speed workout tonight. A Tabata session seemed too short and an easy run around the park sounded, well...easy. I decided to try to establish a baseline time around the 6mi loop since it's still fairly in the season.

Tonight's workout

I started with an easy 1mi jog up to the CP loop. Once there, I picked up the pace and decided to try to keep a 7min/mi pace. The first couple of miles wasn't hard. It was around the time of Harlem Hill that I think my pace dropped off. The following hills on the west side felt a little harder than what I was used to last year, but I guess that should be expected. I finished at 42:50, nearly 3 mins off my fastest pace. Basically, I've my work cut out for me. 3 mins over 6 miles is a sizeable gap, but I'm definitely up to the challenge. I'll do this workout again in the middle of the season, end of the season, and report accordingly.

No comments: