Sunday, November 13, 2011

Off-season Plan - Vibrams!

The main goal this off-season is to take it easy.  Three marathons this year (Disney, Chicago, New York City) is what I'd usually do in three years.  Going to take a couple of steps back this and I'm going to enjoy it so come next season, I'm ready to tackle the next goal:  sub 5 minute mile.  Don't know if it's possible, but I won't know until I try.  My current PR is 5:22 without specifically training for it.

There is one unorthodox element I'm introducing into my life this off-season - Vibrams.  I've run barefoot on the treadmill before and actually enjoyed it.  And with my wife wanting a "monkey foot" partner since she's been wanting to wear them for her lower back ailments, now was as good a time as any. 

We've gone out walking in them only two times so far for starters.  Today's 5 mile walk around the city to Central Park, LeVain Bakery and Trader Joe's felt more taxing than usual.  And I guess that's a good thing.  I felt like I got a better workout below the ankle today than I would have in regular shoes.  I don't like walking on asphalt and hard surfaces with them, but love walking on Central Park grass, dirt and trail.  At this point, I definitely can't imagine running more than a few miles in these.  But I know the body will adapt, and I hope it'll translate to a few seconds faster for my mile time next year. 



No comments: