Monday, December 1, 2008

Grumpy? Bored? Go for a run!

I'd been feeling unproductive all weekend. Sara and I made a feeble attempt at Christmas shopping Saturday, but I wasn't in the mood, but I went anyway because I promised. I wasn't very good company and effectively killed off any excitement Sara had. We came home where I proceeded to mope. Ugh. Just one of those days. The grumpiness carried over to Sunday. I was annoyed at myself for feeling so moody. Time of the month? I pinned down my moodiness to boredom and lack of running. There was only one thing to do to make myself feel better: go for a run! I didn't care that it was less than 40F, windy and raining. I needed to get out. Sara wanted me to leave as well.

Once I was out, I immediately felt lighter spiritually and more joyful. Thank God for endorphins! The air was cool and refreshing. Except for a handful of other runners, I had the park mostly to myself. It was a nice to run out my negative energy and bring back home a more positive presence.

I've had this experience of being grumpy or moody many times, and for me, running is always the anecdote. Even though there have been times that I did not want to go running and found it difficult to lace up, I have never ever regretted going for a run when I got back home.

No comments: